I've been seeing wool dryer balls all over etsy and hyena cart and, to be honest, didn't want to spend the money on something I could do myself! I took the boys and headed to my parent's house to enlist the help of my little sister! (She and my mom both knit, I don't have the patience.) She and I went to Joann's, with our 40% off coupons in hand, to pick up some yarn! We used a guide we found online. The first 7 inch diameter balls were made with "icky" (read: Not so pretty) yarn that they had leftover from various things. Then we washed them and added on another layer of the pretty yarn that we had picked up at the store. No pictures of the creating, unfortunately, but here is the final product!
They seem to work pretty well, I stick them all in there for each load, not too shabby! I'm not sure if they really cut down on the dry time because I always set it on auto dry and I don't really pay attention to the clock. I will say that if you forget to fold over your Velcro diaper tabs, the yarn balls WILL get stuck ;)
While we were at the fabric store, we wandered around a bit and ended up in the fabric section. I've been wanting to try cloth wipes, but, again, I didn't see the point in paying for something that I could do myself. (And I swear, I'm about as uncrafty as they come..I CAN do it, I just don't generally have the attention span.) I picked out 4 flannel fabrics, 1/4 yard each, and a yard of some no pill fleece to use on the backs. My grand total at the store was $20.81 and I got enough fabric to make a few dozen wipes and 6 yarn balls, plus with the extra yarn (and there was quite a bit since we used older stuff for the middles) my sister is going to crochet Talker Man some play food. If I'd bought any of that stuff online it would have cost MUCH more. It pays to DIY.
Onto the wipe making pictures! Yay! We just kind of winged it for these, I mean really, how hard is it to make wipes? I used ALL the fabric so there were a few smaller ones that we're using as nose wipes, face wipes, tiny burpies, whatever, I just didn't see the point in wasting.
First I cut all my fabric, in approximate 7 x 7 squares, some were 8 x 8, some were 6 x 6 and there were a few tall, skinny ones from the leftover fabric.
Thanks, mom, for taking such a cheesy picture of me..and my bad hair day ;)
Our fabrics, I didn't buy the handprint flannel, Mom had that on hand so we could do some testers to see how we were going to do it. We got a TON of wipes out of that fabric, lol. We have pirates, dinosaurs, monkeys, and guitars, all were backed with a dark brown no pill fleece. We don't have a serger so we zig zagged the edges and then pinking sheared them to help with unraveling. (My sister did this, I'm not putting her up on here since I'm too lazy to see if she wants to be posted on my blog, lol.)
Even Talker Man had a project!
Part of the finished product! I still have quite a few left to sew, but I'm pretty proud of them!