Our local hospitals recently switched from using receiving blankets on newborns to using Halo Sleepsack Swaddles. I think this is amazing. It teaches parents, from the birth of their child, how to properly keep your baby snug and warm. In addition to using them in the hospital/nursery they send all new parents home with one!
(My Tiny Man just a few hours old, stylin' in his Sleepsack)
I wanted to share with you a few simple steps, provided by Halo, to keep your babies safe while sleeping.
- Place your baby to sleep on his or her back at naptime and night time.
- Use a safety approved crib with a firm, tight-fitting mattress.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby's sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers and positioners).
- Use a wearable blanket to replace loose blankets in your baby's crib.
- DO NOT put your baby to sleep on any soft surface (sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, sheep skins, etc.).
- Room sharing is safer than bed sharing.
- DO NOT dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- DO NOT let anyone smoke around your baby or be in a room where someone has recently smoked.
- Educate relatives, baby sitters and other caregivers about these important safety tips.
- Tummy time is important for babies while they are awake and being supervised. Place your baby on his or her tummy for playtime to help strengthen their upper body muscles.
To help raise awareness of SIDS prevention, Halo is running a campaign on Facebook. From now until Mother’s Day, they are donating a $1 to SIDS Awareness for every new fan to join their Facebook page. Go to www.facebook.com/halosleepsack to fan (like? whatever they're calling it these days!) Halo and be sure to pass the link on to families and friends!
They have also asked me to encourage you, my awesome readers, to take their Safe Sleep IQ Quiz. I answered all the questions correctly, if you take the quiz let me know how you did too!
Since I feel this is an important cause, I'm offering everyone who joins the Halo Facebook page an extra entry on ANY/ALL the giveaways I have going on right now. Just leave an extra comment entry on the giveaway posts telling me you joined! Honesty is important so don't just say you joined to get an extra entry. I'll check :)